Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, August 12, 2013

The Birthday Cake

So I decided to make Charles' cake this year. He is really into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so I decide to make an Ol' Toodles cake. Little did I know how much time and work it would take! I started baking at 9am and did not get finished until 11:45am. Then I wrapped the cake really well in plastic wrap and laid it flat in the freezer for 24 hours.
 On his birthday I made the icing using Wilton's Buttercream Icing. Making the icing and decorating the cake took me 2 hours. Freezing the cake really makes icing the cake so much easier. 
Tricks I learned:
1. Fill the cake pan a little more than the box cake says.
2. Mix the cake for the time it says on the box.
3. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then use a bread knife to cut of the top part of the cake. The part that is just above the pan to make a flat surface.
4. Flip it over onto plastic wrap and wrap it really well. Lay it on a flat surface and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours ahead of time.
5. Make sure you put icing on the cake right out of the freezer.
6. Purchase Fondant at the store. Use various items that you have around the house to make circles.
Long story short know that a majority of the cost to purchase a cake from a bakery or person is because of the time involved. I probably will not attempt making a birthday cake again, but I am happy to say it looked okay and that it tasted yummy. I will not be the Next Cake Boss!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great!! But yeah, sounds like a giant pain. :)

    ReplyDelete